Monday 15 August 2011

Your walking 10 blocks? Say it ain’t so girl!



We all know the old stereotype that Americans are lazy and walking further than the parking garage (oh yes I’m using the lingo!) is pretty much alien to them all. So much so that when I asked directions to the federal building I was told “oh that’s 10 blocks straight down the street ma’am, I’ll give you the shuttle information.” “No no I’ll walk” I say. To this I received a look of complete shock and sympathy from the lovely but slightly overweight information lady who is still insistent on passing me the timetable.

Not only is walking strongly discouraged but being a pedestrian is just no fun. When you do actually want to walk somewhere it’s like playing chicken with every other car on the road. Even on the green man (or white here) cars are still lawfully able to turn into the road on a red light making every crossing potentially your last.

Further problems arise when you start walking along quite happily and the pavement will disappear leaving you with no choice but the walk on the verge next to the insanely busy road whilst all drivers look at you in disbelief. Countless times I have narrowly missed being taken down by cars, honked, yelled at or asked if I needed a ride somewhere.

I do not particularly enjoy the walking game here but despite its risks I did not take the lady’s advice and did walk to the federal building, getting there alive and in less than 15 minutes and was even able to wave at the people taking the shuttle on my way back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment