Friday 2 December 2011

A Severe Case of Wanderlust

Term is rapidly coming to an end here in South Carolina and if I could sum up in one word the past few months here it would be Wanderlust…

In that I seem to have a severe case of it. The absence from this blog has been in most part due to my inability to stay in one place for more than a week or so. Since leaving you last I have been to Washington D.C, the Blue Ridge Mountains in Georgia and Tennessee. I have become very aware of my desire to be on a constant voyage of discovery, to visit new places and meet new people. Whilst I am thoroughly enjoying my studies here at USC they are not what have shaped my time here in America so far. It has not been the fact that I can recite the history of the past 20 Presidents or being able to engage in a debate on whether reconstruction and race relations have succeeded or failed since 1864, but it is the travels I have gone on and the people I have met who have made this semester some of the best months of my life.

Anyhow enough of the sentiment and onto the real deal, where I went, what I did and who I saw.

Washington D.C

So a few months ago I travelled with three friends to the Capital City itself. We visited all the touristy places along the Washington Mall; the State Capitol, Lincoln memorial, (If there is one thing Washington does well its erecting some of the most beautiful and thought out memorials and monuments ), American History Museum (I can still geek up whilst travelling!) and my personal favourite the White House. Although we were a little disappointed that there was work being done on the water feature between the Lincoln and Washington Memorial. At least it didn’t say “closed for refurbishment” and we could still get the view from both.

My favourite part of this trip however was exploring Georgetown. A small, compact and walkable district with a distinct European feel. Some shops brought me right back to London and even the British highstreet with Zara, H & M and even Jack Wills! I was in my element and had a lovely afternoon shopping and browsing, okay more browsing than shopping... I hate being a student, especially one abroad!

The prize for restaurant of the Semester, or should I say Café, goes to La Madeline. A traditional French café, we stopped here for a coffee but could have stayed all afternoon. It was continuing the European flare with quiche and pastries and had a lovely atmosphere, something which I have missed among the sports bars and rather generic grills that seem to define American dining. Sometimes I don’t want to watch sports, look at license plates and drink soda... finding a bit of class in America is like being in a thrift store, you have to look past all the tack to get to the good stuff.







Blue Ridge Mountains, GA

My next adventure was a spontaneous weekend trip up to the Blue Ridge Mountains although I’m not sure you can really call them mountains, more like rolling hills, but with the leaves starting to turn golden it was b.e.a.utiful! Ten of us stayed in a lovely cabin complete with pool table, fire pit and hot tub and although not a particularly busy weekend we did fit in a walk to the waterfalls. In general though we just enjoyed a relaxing weekend away. Highlight of the trip was finally getting to try a smore (biscuit, chocolate and roasted marshmallows) downside of the trip.. realising I really don’t like smores!




I would like to point out (for the purpose of my parents reading this) that although I have had some great trips and travels over the past few months I have still been working hard… okay disclaimer in I can now continue..

Oak Ridge, TN
Lastly this past week I was invited by my friend Kate to celebrate Thanksgiving at hers in Tennessee. Although I was not feeling so great on the car ride up due to a very well celebrated 21st birthday the night before once there I had a great time! I would also like to interject at this point and say we stopped by a Southern staple, Cracker Barrel, on our journey... I had heard only great things about this place, their breakfast in particular and I must say it wasn’t bad!

Anywho back to the week.

Kate lives in a real mountain home complete with veranda, rocking chairs and stone fire place, it was great to be in a homey environment and sit on a proper comfy sofa! Her parents, Pam and Hal, treated us to some great home cooked meals and made us very welcome. For Thanksgiving itself we ate a hearty dinner at her grandparents which her grandmother had made historically traditional in light of us international visitors. A decision which did lead to a in depth debate as to whether potatoes could be served as whilst not traditional to the first pilgrims dinner a great side dish to turkey... unfortunately the potatoes lost out this time but despite this the meal was delicious! Other than Thanksgiving we toured downtown Knoxville, ate at a “British Pub” and visited the Museum of Appalachia. All in all a fabulous week!







And that brings us up to date where now I am in the midst of finals and spending my days in the library wishing away the days ‘til my next adventure a Christmassy visit to New York City with the brother!

But that will have to wait for another post which I hope won’t be as late as this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment